Job Listing - Assistant Professor at Arizona State University, Hugh Downs School of Communication
Monday, November 2, 2015
Posted by: Christina Yoshimura
The Hugh Downs School of Human Communication (HDSHC) in College of Liberal Arts and Sciences at Arizona State University invites applications for a tenure-track Assistant Professor with a focus in Intercultural Communication. Anticipated start date is August 2016. Salary will be competitive based on qualifications.
The successful candidate will contribute to intercultural communication research and teaching that advances HDSHC’s mission to produce scholarship and pedagogy that responds to pressing issues in the world today, and advances ASU’s mission and vision for a New American University (https://newamericanuniversity.asu.edu/).
We seek a scholar whose work will contribute to the school’s core focus area of intercultural communication and whose interests intersect with one or more of the school’s research initiatives in transformative communication, strategic communication, health communication, and civil/creative/critical communication. The search is open in terms of methodology, theory, and/or practical application.
The successful candidate will be expected to establish and maintain a research agenda publishable in top-tier academic journals; seek external funding; teach and assist in the recruitment of graduate and undergraduate students; contribute to curriculum development; and engage in professional, university, and community service as appropriate.
The HDSHC includes 22 core faculty members and offers BA, BS, MIP (masters in passing), and Ph.D. degrees in communication. The School offers laboratory facilities, computer resources, project and grant development support, and a performance studio. For additional information, please visit https://humancommunication.clas.asu.edu/ . HDSHC is located on the Tempe campus in a progressive suburb of the Phoenix metro area. Our location offers the resources of a major metropolitan area (5+ million) in a state with spectacular natural scenery and recreational areas, sublime winters, and a culturally rich population.
1. Ph.D. or equivalent in Communication or a closely related field at the time of appointment
2. Research focus in intercultural/international communication
3. Evidence of excellence in teaching at the post-secondary level
4. Potential to develop an internationally-recognized program of research
1. Ability to contribute to research and teaching in one or more of the School’s other core areas (organizational, interpersonal, health, rhetoric/public communication, performance studies)
2. Potential to secure external funding support
3. Experience working/researching in interdisciplinary or transdisciplinary teams
The application deadline is on or before 12 noon MST on Friday, December 11, 2015; if the position is not filled, then applications will be reviewed weekly thereafter, until the search is closed.
To apply, please submit a single PDF document of the materials listed below to HDSHCrecruitment@asu.edu.
1. A cover letter specifying interest in the position and how qualifications match the required and desired qualifications
2. Curriculum vitae
3. Evidence of excellence in teaching (e.g., syllabi, teaching evaluations)
4. Evidence of excellence in scholarship (e.g. reprints of no more than 3 essays)
5. Names, addresses, phone numbers, and email addresses of three professional references
Please write the job order #11384 in the SUBJECT area of the email. A background check is required for employment.
Arizona State University is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor and an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will be considered without regard to race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by the law. http://www.asu.edu/aad/manuals/acd/acd401. This institution offers benefits to same-sex and different sex married couples. It does not offer benefits to unmarried domestic partne